Winthrop Men’s Soccer Falls To College Of Charleston 1-0
ROCK HILL, SC—Winthrop men’s soccer suffered a 1-0 midweek defeat to the College of Charleston, Wednesday evening in non-conference action.
College of Charleston (7-5-2) 1, Winthrop (3-9-1) 0
Oct. 18, 2017
Rock Hill, SC (Eagle Field)
Winthrop Starters: Perkinson (GK), Ramirez, Raad, Hawkins, Rapp, Estevez, Carreras, Vinyals, Maher, Hasenstab, Smith
College of Charleston Starters: Shields (GK), Tansley, Nicholson, Dent, Heffron, Krovel, Abderahman, De Souza, Adesodun, Murillo, Archer
34′ — COFC – Tansley (none)
- Eagles had a good chance in the 30th minute when Nil Vinyals flicked the ball over the top of the defense as Max Hasenstab ran on to it
- Hasenstab tried to lift a shot over the goalkeeper coming out but the shot sailed high
- The Cougars netted the only goal of the match in the 34th minute when Ben Tansley scored his first goal of the year
- Hasenstab nearly tied the match in the 69th minute on a counter as he struck a shot in the run of play, but Kevin Shields made the diving save as the rebound went past two Eagle players running on
- College of Charleston finished with a 14-7 advantage in shots (5-2 in shots on goal)
Winthrop remains at home as it gets back to Big South action when it hosts Radford on Saturday, Oct. 21 at 7 p.m.