York County Sports Hall Of Fame To Induct 5 New Members In May
The York County Sports Hall of Fame committee will host the 2017 Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on May 16 at the Hood Center (375 S. Anderson Rd., Rock Hill, SC) beginning at 5:30 PM. The 16th Anniversary Induction Ceremony will recognize five new inductees, including York’s Taylor Barett Cook and Josh Davis, South Pointe’s Stephon Gilmore, Northwestern’s Cookie Massey and Fort Mill’s Vance Walker.
Tickets are $25 and will go on sale in March. They can be purchased at the Rock Hill/York County Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB) located inside the Hood Center.
Facts about inductees:
- Taylor Barett Cook – 4A State Player of the Year in golf at York Comprehensive High School. Received a full scholarship at the University of South Carolina.
- Josh Davis – 3-sport athlete at York Comprehensive High School. Attended Marshall University and was a freshman All-American. Played in the NFL for the Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, Minnesota Vikings, and Carolina Panthers.
- Stephon Gilmore – played football and basketball at South Pointe High School. Was All-State and played in the Shrine Bowl. Plays in the NFL for the Buffalo Bills.
- Cookie Massey – lettered in 3 sports at Northwestern High School. Played football and baseball at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Was All-ACC and All-American.
- Vance Walker – Played football at Fort Mill High School, earning All-State and All-American honors. Attended Georgia Tech and made the All-ACC team his junior and senior years. In his 8th season in the NFL with the Denver Broncos and a Super Bowl champion.
York County Sports Hall of Fame
The York County Sports Hall of Fame began in 1997, with the first induction ceremony in 1998. The York County Sports Hall of Fame honors men and women who, through sports, have brought pride and honor to York County, SC. The Hall of Fame Steering Committee holds the induction ceremony bi-annually during the month of May.