Five adults and three children are now in the care of the American Red Cross after a kitchen fire at their Southland Drive home early Thursday.
Rock Hill Fire Battalion Chief Rusty Myers said just after 12 a.m., crews doused flames coming from a home in the 900 block of Southland Drive in Rock Hill. The fire left behind $20,000 in damage to the home and other $8,000 to personal property.
Despite an increased number of holiday parties and indoor cooking during the winter months, Myers said kitchen fires are not the lead concern when the temperature drops — it’s space heaters.
“When you’re using space heaters, you want to have adequate spacing between the heater and any other combustibles,” Myers said.
Myers also stresses using the appropriate fuels for a space heater — and if it a heater that gives off any type of vapor, it must be properly ventilated.