Doomed Boone hotel to reopen after carbon monoxide deaths

Posted July 18, 2013 6:10 pm | Filed under Featured, Local News
By

The Boone, N.C. hotel where a Rock Hill boy and a couple from Utah died earlier this year will likely reopen this weekend.

The Best Western on East King Street in may reopen as soon as this weekend investigators shut its doors for nearly a month.

The Town of Boone issued a new certificate of occupancy for the facility Thursday.

Jeffrey Williams, 11, died in June from carbon monoxide poisoning, while his mother was hospitalized from breathing the colorless, odorless gas. Daryl and Shirley Jenkins also died from the same gas in the same room in April.

Room 225, where the three deaths occurred, has been cordoned off and the room number has been removed from the second floor hallway.

Boone planning director Bill Bailey said the town has inspected the hotel. He said it will be allowed to reopen, but the pool heater has been disconnected and the pool room will be off-limits.

WSOC-TV contributed to this report.

Comments

comments