Clover Schools locked down for 20 minutes; 1 arrested, deputies say

Posted April 17, 2013 5:52 pm | Filed under Featured, Local News

FILE/Andrew Kiel. York County Sheriff’s Deputies take part in an active shooter training exercise at Knights Stadium on February 20, 2013.

All ten schools in the Clover School District were on lockdown Wednesday morning after a man, now known as 21-year-old Andrew Brown, allegedly made threats against a school.

Clover Police Chief Randy Grice said information about the threat came through a School Resource Officer in Chesterfield, and authorities then contacted his department by way of the York County Sheriff’s Office.

Clover School District spokesman Mychal Frost said just after 9 a.m. Wednesday, deputies contacted district officials of the unspecified but immediate threat.

Brown. Courtesy YCSO.

That lockdown lasted for some 20 minutes. Frost said the lockdown, though, worked just as planned.

Frost says additional drills were put in place following the shootings and Sandy Hook Elementary. Parents were first notified of the incident via e-mail this morning and were updated on the situation later today.

“At this time there was no direct threat made towards a school in the Clover School District,” said York County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Constable Trent Faris. “Based on the information at the time, the Clover Police Department and the York County Sheriff’s Office fully supports the decision the Clover School District made to put all schools on lock down.”

At 9:01 a.m., Brown was located at 103 Oak Street in Clover. He is charged with Receiving Stolen Goods and and being a fugitive from North Carolina.

He was arrested by Clover Police for outstanding warrants he had for Burglary and Larceny in Anson County, N.C.

In York County, he faces a charge of possession of a stolen pistol and being a fugitive from justice.

Grice said any charges regarding the school threat would come from Chesterfield County.

Brown remains in custody at the York County Detention Center.