Rock Hill launches Sports Commission
Rock Hill’s success in luring sporting events has prompted the creation of a panel that will work with individuals and organizations to help the city become the best sports tourism destination in the southeast.
The nine-member all-volunteer Rock Hill Sports Commission is chaired by local lawyer and former city councilman John Gettys, who says Rock Hill had a similar organization about 20 years ago.
Gettys says the panel will also promote the construction of new facilities and the improvement of existing facilities.
Gettys says ultimately the sports commission hopes to enhance Rock Hill’s economy through first-class sporting events.
He says that would include encouraging bonds to be issued to construct new facilities and improve existing facilities.
Among the panel’s members:
- Bill Beaty, Comporium Communications
- Kathy Bigham, Winthrop Board of Trustees Vice-Chair
- Anthony DiGiorgio, Winthrop University President (vice-chair)
- Doug Echols, Rock Hill Mayor
- Fred Faircloth, Coca-Cola Bottling Company President (treasurer)
- John Gettys (chair)
- Manning Kimmel, Managing Partner of Our Three Sons Broadcasting, WRHI’s parent company
- Warren Norman, the Warren Norman Company
- York County Councilman Bump Roddey (secretary)